Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Last Reading Response!

The article linked on Charlie G's website, Elite Colleges Open New Door to Low Income Youth, seemed more like a profile than a feature. It definitely had potential to be a feature had stories of other low income youths been shared. However, the focus was on Jack at Amherst. Regardless, I really enjoyed reading this article.

The lede to the article was catchy, it started with a story which "humanized" the topic. By using Jack's story the author succeeds in "showing" the topic, instead of just explaining what is going on.

I thought the style of the article was extremely concise. I did not feel like I was reading a life story, but rather a success story woven into a bigger story of a college. I think that to make this a feature the emphasis should have started on Jack but then panned out to a bigger picture of other schools and other students.

In response to the content of this article, I am in complete agreement that it makes more sense to diversify a campus based on socioeconomic status, instead of race. I tend to be a tad more conservative in my viewpoints when it comes to affirmative action but I truly believe that an affirmative action for socioeconomic status would appease everyone. It makes sense to give aid based on financial need instead of what color you were born. If it happens to be that more African Americans are in the lower socioeconomic bracket, then so be it. At least the school is helping those that really need it.

1 comment:

Marin said...

Race and class in this country are inextricably linked, if not in actuality (in all cases), then in attitude. I think the piece says that quite well even if covertly.

By the way, profiles ARE features (as are personal essays). We'll talk about definitions tonight!