Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Reading Response: Underworld

I never would have believed that I could become that fascinated in the life of a coal miner and what it is like to actually work in the coal mine. Although this piece was really long, I read it all and really enjoyed it. I wish I had read it in print form though, with the pictures and the layout. Sometimes I find reading on the Internet a chore, not half as enjoyable as the real thing. Charlie's pick for a feature this week really hit home with me though for several reasons.

First, I was genuinely impressed at this woman's ability to form such close relationships with these men and gain access to a job that seems predominantly masculine. I personally am going into a field that is male dominated and am hesitant about how I will be received. I believe that Jeanne Laskas does an incredible job at gaining the respect of her subjects, even though at times they would poke fun at her for not having insight into the job. I have to admit I was somewhat inspired. In the beginning I just assumed that the author was a man, doing some male bonding with coal miners. I was impressed, however, to realize that it was a woman and for some reason this really shined a new light on the characters and the story.

Secondly, I love the full immersion into this culture. She really put herself out there to gain COMPLETE access to the life of several coal miners. I really believe that this article presents the ideal way to write a feature the right way. It isn't superficial and the details are real, she doesn't just skim the top layer of coal mining but portrays every aspect of that lifestyle. The quotes from the characters are perfect, they really show the reader a lot. I am struggling with this part in my own writing and now understand how important it is to have real conversations with your characters.

Third, Jeanne really humanizes these men. I not only felt like I really had a firm grasp on who they are but it went beyond that. I saw them at work. I saw them at home with their wives. I saw them at the bar with their guy friends. It was such a well rounded picture. And I liked them at the end.

The history of the coal mining industry was cleverly worked into the story. I didn't find it to be boring or out of context. Also, the language of the piece seemed to mimic the language of the coal miners. I loved it!

No comments: